Monday 16 July 2012

Frizzy Hair: 6 DIY Home Remedies to Help


I have curly, thick hair. And I have frizzies. Especially when it's hot and humid like it has been for the last couple weeks. I used to straighten my hair daily, but with this heat I couldn't be bothered. It started at the end of May this year! Ridiculous!!! But the frizzies come out two times as bad when my hair is curly, so I need product to help keep them under control. John Frieda works GREAT! Problem is... it's expensive... and such little bottles. Every single serum that seemed to be any good was at a salon for $20 to $30 bucks or at Walmart for $10 to $20. Argh! Go figure, that's just my luck. Especially when I'm not working! I was lucky and got a few samples in the mail, but they only lasted a little while (just like all my other serums)! So I looked into ways to make it.  And of course, I wanna share them with you!

Here are a few home remedies to try on your hair if you have the fly aways! 


A Carbonated Water Rinse 
For those of you who let your curls air dry (this is me), this is a great remedy for you to eliminate hair frizz caused by humidity. After you wash your hair (both shampoo & conditioner if need be), give it a final rinse with sparkling or carbonated water. They will both reduce frizz because of it’s low pH level.


Olive Oil or Coconut Oil
I'm sure most of us have olive oil in the house. Some, have coconut oil too. You can use whichever you prefer... either way - oil fights the frizzies like you wouldn't believe!
To whip up some oil conditioner, all you have to do is heat up one cup of oil (whichever you prefer, or have) in a glass jar. You can do this in the microwave. While warm, wet your hair and apply your mixture evenly throughout your hair. Do not wash it out! Cover your hair with a shower cap (or plastic bag if you don't have a cap) and wrap a hot towel around your head to increase moisture absorption. Keep this in your hair and your towel warm on your head for approximately 30 minutes. You need steady heat from your towel, so you will have to reheat it once or twice in the process. After you have let your hair absorb the mixture, shampoo and rinse your hair with cold water and style as normal.

Note: Add an egg to your oil, the egg contains L-cysteine, a natural amino acid that helps with building cells and repairing tissue.
  

Mayonnaise and Avocado Conditioner
Dry frizzy hair? This one's for you! Mix 1 cup of mayonnaise with 1/2 an avocado until you have a paste. Rub it throughout your hair distributing evenly and cover your head with a shower cap or plastic bag. Wrap a warm towel around your head and leave on for 20 minutes and wash out. 


Apple Cider Vinegar
I'm sure you might have all heard of this remedy before. I remember doing this when I was a little kid. Well my Mom helped me. But it's definitely been around for awhile. This prevents frizzies and will give your hair a nice shine. Two in one, friggin eh!! And it works great! Get a bowl or a water bottle and mix equal parts water and apple cider vinegar. I'd go a cup and a cup, or half and half, depending on how much hair you have! Wash your hair as per usual but give it a final rinse with your mixture! 

White Vinegar
Smooth and flatten your hair cuticles by combing white vinegar through washed hair with a comb. Then condition your hair as usual. When rinsing your hair, use water as cold as you can bear. Using cold water helps lock down the cuticle and makes hair appear slicker and smoother.


Honey - After Shampoo Rinse 

Mix 1 tablespoon of honey with 1 quart of water. Pour your mixture through your shampooed hair while it's still wet. Rinse out and condition as per usual. Honey will attract and hold water molecules and can help to moisturize your hair.

Hopefully you found a remedy to help you out! I'm sure out of one of these, you will find one that suits you. And remember even though I said conditioner after some of these procedures, you will notice you won't always have too. Enjoy!

xOx - L

Click here to Like Designs & Decor on a Dime on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment