Wednesday 11 July 2012

DIY: Lip Balm! Super Easy N' Delicious..


I LOVE Lip Balm! I have baskets of it. It's in every drawer in my house... every purse I own, it's everywhere. You never know when you are going to need it! Definitely a girls best friend!

So, since we are trying this new thing called "saving"... lip balm is just another one of those things that I have to cut back on. I mean, it's not like I'll run out or anything... but there will be no more of seeing a new kind in the store and purchasing it... well as much as I used to anyway.

As I was putting on my lip gloss this morning I thought... I wanted to make up a batch of lip balm, just for the heck of it. I'm bored.. might as well. So I looked up some recipes and realized I didn't have a few of the ingredients. And going out to buy them would defeat the purpose of this. So I decided to improvise and use my imagination. And to my surprise... IT WORKED!!!

This has got to be probably one of the EASIEST DIY lip balms ever! Easy & Cheap = AWESOME!

What you'll need:
3 to 4 Kool-aid or Hawaiian Punch Packets (I used Singles)
1/4 to 1/3 cups of Vaseline (Depends how much you want to make, 1/4 cups got me 3 containers)
Measuring Cup
Glass Bowl
Plastic Containers (for lip balm)
Fork


I just wanted to say a few things before I start.
If you want your lip gloss to be coloured, make sure the kool-aid is the right colour (pink, red, blue) etc. I only had a yellow lemonade here and it didn't work, I had to mix in a berry punch from the store.
Also, you can get the containers from Michaels, BUT I did find cheaper ones at the Dollarama.

What you'll do:
Put the Vaseline in the glass bowl and microwave for maximum 1 minute. I only have to heat mine for 30 seconds, it all depends on the strength of the microwave.

Note: Keep your eye on it, you don't want the Vaseline to melt completely and turn into a liquid form. You just want to heat it up so it makes it easy to stir and turn into the same thickness as pudding. And BE CAREFUL you don't get splashed, the Vaseline is HOT!

Once heated, take the bowl out and stir the Vaseline until it is about the consistency of pudding.


Once your greasy mixture is thick enough, slowly start sprinkling in small amounts of Kool-aid while you are continuously stirring. Make sure that the Kool-aid crystals are dissolving. If you find they aren't dissolving, you haven't stirred it enough! The more packets you use, the darker your mixture will get.


Once you have reached your desired colour, stop adding in the Kool-aid but you are going to want to continue stirring. Is your wrist getting sore yet? LOL I know mine had a great work out by the end of it! If you find the crystals just aren't going away, throw it back in the microwave for 25 to 30 seconds, then continue to stir.

Once you think all the crystals are dissolved and the mixture is to your likings, dab a little on your lips just to make sure it's the way you want it! If it's not, continue stirring. If it is, it's time to pour the mixture into the containers.


Place your containers on paper towel or the counter and start to pour or spoon in your mixture. Make sure you don't put too much in your container! You don't want it to over flow when you close the lid!  Once your containers are full you are going to want to let them cool for 2 to 3 hours; or more if possible. 


If you are giving them as a gift, throw on some stickers or labels to make your containers a little more cute and original! Your friends will love it! I like this recipe cuz my lips are constantly chapped, so unlike most flavored lip balms, this one has Vaseline, so it's actually helping!! LOVE IT!


xOx - L

Click here to Like Designs & Decor on a Dime on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment